Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Wino Wednesday - Cabernet Pinotage & Sauvignon Blanc*Edited


Sebeka Cabernet Pinotage 2006
This red is 65% Cabernet and 35% Pinotage. This is called a Cape Blend because of the Pinotage.

Pinotage is a unique South African beauty that is a cross between Pinot Noir and Cinsault.

I think that it is a solid red wine to pour a great big glass, swirl it around a bit and drink and drink and drink...additionally, this wine will pair with any number of favorite foods.

General consensus from all who sampled tonight was that all really liked the wine. Husband did mention that he thought it has a bit of a rough finish, but as the evening progressed his final analysis was "a really good wine."

Drawbacks - some might call the bottle "creative packaging," only after I learned the story of the orphaned cheetah did I appreciate the label, but carrying the theme to a bright yellow spotted cork - not a huge fan. I know that some will like the packaging. I am really hoping that most do because I think that cheaper wines really live and die by marketing. For those that are drawn to a wine by the label, I am keeping my fingers crossed that the packaging will work.

*This morning as I was leaving for work I did notice that that the bottle looked pretty cute with its quirky cork. The punch of the yellow cork does bring the label together nicely. The bottle looked quite distinctive as it waits patiently on my counter for me to return home and finish her off.

I still say the best part of this wine is that you get a very good red and a fantastic price. So if you don't have a bottle, hunt one down.

Golden Kaan Sauvignon Blanc 2005

This was quite the bottom shelf find. In fact, we liked this wine so much I am being sent on a mission later this week to buy the rest of the inventory. We paired it with a triple cream brie and it was pretty darn good. The wine was a bit paler than I thought a 2005 should be, but it had a crisp fruity aroma (apples and pears). The taste was very clear and easy. This means that you drink it fast....really fast...thus the mission to buy more later this week.

If you see this wine, just grab it. If you don't like it, someone that loves whites will definitely love it. This is a wine that I would probably even give as a gift or take over for dinner. Given how I feel about this wine right now, to gift it would require either a very good friend that I know would enjoy it...or I am running late and need something quick....yeah, even then I probably would keep it for myself and make sure to share it with only very good friend.

*I forgot to add Eva Luna's sole tasting note for this wine - "Yummy." Yep, that pretty much sums up this wine.

Next week in continuing our South Africa theme, I picked out

I am going to go out on a limb here and assume that if you have a picture of a goat on the label, you should pair it with goat cheese...
Now don't panic, I didn't try to pair the Sebeka with a cheetah...

Link to Goats do Roam - *If you are wondering, YES, this is a pun, here we have a cute dig on the "du" of French wine...next week we will go into more detail about the lengths they have taken this pun...it is quite clever...

*Sorry about the edits this morning. I was quite tired last night. For those that are interested in playing along, comment and let me know what Goats do Roam wine you are able to find and maybe we will do a broader tasting and everyone can do their own tasting note...

Here are my thoughts this morning - To keep with the South African humor...M. Broadbent (legendary British wine connoisseur) is most famous for his tasting notes where he describes wine like a woman - I will find a good example later.

I say we do our tasting notes describing wine like a goat or other such farm animal. You can check out the Goats website for inspiration...



Cheers!

4 comments:

Claudia said...

Both those sound really yummy! I tried, but I couldn't get the Sebeka here. Sadness :( However, I think we *do* have goats do roam (I know I've seen it - I just hope i'm not remembering it from when I lived in australia) so hopefully I'm going to have more luck getting a bottle of that! Cheers!

los cazadores said...

Wonderful review, I must try to get the Goats Do Roam this week...will try...going on a mission....

Cindy

filoli said...

Aaaaaa! I am so sorry Caroline. I looked at a report and they talked about releasing in UK first before US.

Claudia said...

Nevermind!! I'll make up for missing out next week :)