Tannins are bitter. That is the central role that they play in a red wine. I do not want to delve into the science and molecular structures of tannins...they are complicated both from a Science Guy and wine tasting sort of a way.
Tannins in red wine are derived from the skins, seeds and stems of the grapes. But it can also result from the wooden barrels the wine is stored in for maturation. Tannins are your path to true insight as to the quality of the wine.
No matter what you may hear from someone swirling a glass of wine and thrusting their nose deep into a glass - You cannot smell tannins! These bitter beauties may only be experienced by mouth. So pucker, let it linger and then swallow...
If the tannins are too bitter (no fruit aftertaste) and it feels a bit grainy, then it is an indicator of problems with wine. This could be anything from simply unripe grapes, diseases of faults in the vineyard or it could be defects in the production process (pressing the seeds other things...).
If it tastes bitter with a hint of sweetness and a fruity aftertaste, then you have a quality red on your hands. Signs of optimal ripeness and mature tannins are smoothness, silk and a somewhat transparent feel in the mouth.
So, tannins are exclusively a mouth experience and then you swallow and that leads up to the wine's hopefully great finish...
Finish, next to bouquet, is a frequent term people drop when talking about wine. Just like you cannot smell tannins - you don't know the finish until you SWALLOW.
Ask yourself - Does the wine get better after I swallow? Are there new aromas or tastes in your mouth and throat? Does it linger?
Only now can you really talk about the "structure" of the wine.
Typically, a wine is either found to be complex or simple. This is pretty self evident. If the mouth taste is different from the finish, then it would be considered complex because the wine changes and develops while you drink it. If it is pretty much the same, no real variation, then you have yourself a simple wine, which you may just absolutely love and adore - because ultimately it is your call.
So now you have a way to talk about tannins, finish and structure of wines this weekend.
Now, your mission if you wish to accept it (and I hope you will) is try a fun tasting game.
Buy 1 bottle from of each of three following categories (no blends at all):
- Pinot Noir, Pinotage or Sangiovese
- Merlot or Zinfandel
- Cabernet Sauvignon or Syrah
Open all 3 bottles, give each taster 3 wine glasses, throw a tag on each glass identifying the wine and start sampling. Also, have a glass of water available to clean your palate. It is pretty necessary particularly when you go from a Cab or Syrah to a Pinot Noir. See if you can start to taste the variation amongst the wines. Are the tannins softer in one than another...does it feel like one has a lot of bitter and another hardly any...
Young Jedi, if you do these exercises and learn to trust yourself, you will be amazed at what you will discover. So, give it a try, the force is strong with you, young one...
Now for a quick down and dirty tasting note...I have been shipped out to Phoenix for awhile working and was lucky enough to be shacked up at this joint...
I checked out their cellar and they had a phenomenal amount of old wines. I was particularly taken by the number of Chateau Petrus they cellared and from impressive vintages. Obviously a number of wines from France's Bordeaux region were a highlight of their collection. The most commonly planted grape of the region and the shining star of the super expensive Petrus is none other than the inappropriately maligned as common and unsophisticated Merlot.
Knowing this, I was pretty stoked when I had an opportunity to crash a cocktail hour and wanted to sample their somewhat reasonably priced merlots. They should be pretty good right?
I was served Hayman and Hill, Merlot, from Napa. I know of this winery and was not too eager, but I thought "hey they must know something I don't about this wine." Uh...NO!!!!!!!!
What the Pucker!
It was so devastatingly horrible! Using the terms of the day, the tannins were low but a bit dirty tasting, the finish felt like...hmmm...how do I describe this...it was a short finish, but flat and nasty. It tasted like the sound of someone passing gas - yep, a fart. So I was not impressed.
Apologies to all that love this wine - it is just how I read the wine...and no, I will not do this wine again - ever!
It is funny because I was talking to Alpha about how silly I feel because so far I have "really liked" or "recommend" the wines we have done so far. I was wondering if I was a bit of a cheerleader. Then I was served the crap wine...argh, it hurt my stomach to look around the patio and watch people just gulping down giant glasses of that nonsense.
Regardless, the scenery was still pretty good and the weather outside (I was told) delightful...
So I can't really complain...

3 comments:
Schooled. You are a wealth of knowledge~! Totally awesome. Phantastic even!
Thanks for the lesson plan - I did not know about tannins, structure and finish.
Man, but merlot gets a bad rap. yes...some snobby someone or other once retorted "You should reeeeaallly do yourself a favor and trrrrrrry a Pinot Noir" after I responded to his question of 'what kind of wine do I prefer' with "Merlot". I never felt like such wine scum before. Needless to say, I had no further incentive to spend time with his McSnootiness. I like wine, but I don't like snots! Thankfully, my office roommate has introduced me to his friend a wine-know-it-all and a very nice man too. He told me to try "Bogle" wines for pure tasting.
Cindy
I can't wait to try some wine now!
I learned so much stuff reading this! How cool!
Since it takes me about a week to finish one bottle of wine (scandal, I know) I'm trying to imagine how I can justify opening three at once. Invite friends, maybe??? Cos I want to try this! Cool post!
Post a Comment