Last night, I finished the Billionaire's Vinegar by Benjamin Wallace.
If you hate wine snobs,
If you feel that most of the wine descriptions are simply attempts to manifest affluence and superiority over you,
If you feel that wealth does not equal a superior palate,
If you are suspicious that the value of old rare wine is only the competitiveness of the ultra wealthy in an auction room,
If you get frustrated by rich people snatching up antiquities but no study or appreciation of history,
If you are offended that anyone would pay over $100,000 for a bottle of wine (possibly vinegar),
If you love a good story, crazy characters (wine collector's most prized possession is his acquisition of a new liver), FBI investigators and history,
then you should read this book.
Benjamin Wallace did an amazing job with this book. I adore the writing style. He perfectly matches the romance, context, and tenor of each unique situation. When tracking Jefferson through France, you will crave Lafite. When describing the behaviour and conversations in the auction room, you will chuckle. When inviting you to the legendary vertical tastings of the 1980's and 1990's, you better understand the advantages and silliness of such tasting notes. In the end, you will better love and adore your table wines and sip with a smug sense of superiority.
This provides me the perfect segue way for tonight's tasting in our exploration of Wino Picks.
Sebeka Cabernet Pinotage 2006
and...
Golden Kaan Sauvignon Blanc 2005

I wanted to do a white and a red. Selfishly, I added the Golden Kaan after I found it on a bottom shelf at BevMo at a discounted price of...wait for it...$4.49. Also, all of Cindy's, aka Cazadora, chatter about her love of triple cream brie broke me down and I picked some up on Sunday. So, I am going to pair the Kaan with the triple and see how it goes.
Oh and I found the Sebeka for $5.99 at BevMo...how is that for value!

3 comments:
I'm on my way to California prontisimo to snatch up some of your cheese! :) he he, just enjoy a bit for me please!
I might partake in a smooth red tonight, but I won't be able to watch the debate....
Cindy
Nar, time allocation really...we'll have a house full and it's not the sort of scene I'd better get all up into politics around. :)
Cindy
Ladies, don't you think we might need something a bit stronger for tonights debate watching. The shots of JD I had before, during and after the VP debate circumvented a nasty blog post the following day. For once I welcomed a drinking induced loss of memory :)
I am definitely going to go search for your wines tomorrow, in anticipation of Wino Wednesday.
C-
Post a Comment