Friday, October 3, 2008

Friday Foster Feature

Life is always something unexpected. At least it feels that way to me. Every time I think I have a "plan" something gets turned around and I end up in a new direction. A very dear friend has encouraged us to take another look at the fost-adopt program. This is definitely my husband's preference...and right now it just so happens that I am open to it as a possibility as well.


My husband always wanted an older child placement...and me not so much...but I am finding myself more and more willing...



My husband always wanted to look more into the private fost-adopt agencies...and me not so much...but yet I have been on numerous phone calls this week and last having very inspiring and hopeful conversations...



I consistently argued the foster system's focus on family reunification and the idea of a child or children being placed and then taken would be too much for me...but I am finding that with the right agency perhaps I am not as vulnerable as I feared...and this may be the best fit for us.


I am getting more information from people very involved with the program and find myself not only willing but excited about the possibilities.


I had lunch with a friend that spent the last 2 years trying for a placement in the fost-adopt system with the county. I thought she would discourage me or maybe tell me to be concerned, but instead as I am talking to her she keeps telling me how excited she is and how she is getting chills thinking about the possibilities that might be right around the corner. By the end of the lunch not only does she encourage me but decides to go home and talk to her husband about trying again and going through this program with us.


She mentions at her bible study that she and her husband will be going through the fost-adopt process again and another friend wants to come along to the orientation...


My husband, who will now and forever be referred to as Alpha (because I have a stupid sense of humor and love to introduce him as "my first husband"), is much happier and less worried about the process. I find this odd because I am considerably more nervous.


Alpha's side of the family has a history of fost-adopt or domestic adopts - my side of the family has a history of international adoption. So it is not a huge shock that we are each more comfortable with what we know.


At this time we have decided to start the fost-adopt process and get our foster parent certifications. Until I get to our orientation October 9th all I know is that I need to start collecting and preparing for the following:
  1. Fost-Adopt Orientation
  2. Infant/Child CPR Certification
  3. First Aid Certification
  4. Water Safety Certification
  5. DMV Record
  6. Health Screening
  7. PRIDE parenting classes (the name really cracks me up)
  8. Drug Exposed Infant Class (I am learning be okay with cocaine, but not meth...okay...)
  9. Dig out the spare bedrooms and have some room for a possible child instead of 1 overflowing junk room (room I intended to use as a nursery) and a sparse office.
  10. Prepare house to foster home study approval standards (yikes)
  11. Not freak out all the time because things can happen sooner than you plan.

I have my CPR and First Aid classes scheduled and a friend going with me. I have the orientation and PRIDE classes (they are killing me with that name) scheduled.

Alpha did his Health Screening yesterday.

I think my next steps are collecting the DMV reports and working on the house - I think...oh, and I need to schedule my Health Screening.

Oh and when Alpha was at the doctor's office getting his Health Screening they were talking about the program...and that family is now also interested in going through the process with us...this is just so odd!

I am scared, hopeful, excited, panicked about the cost of day care, convinced that everything is going to work out, followed quickly by concerns that maybe none of this will go well, inspired, sleepless and petrified that I may be a horribly inadequate parent and that some poor child is going to be placed with us and then hate us for the rest of our lives...and then back to what an amazing opportunity and journey it would be for both parents and child.

Okay, so here we go...and I hope this goes well...just promise me I am not going to be alone during all of this...

5 comments:

Julie said...

Deep Breath. You'll do fine. You have all of us to support you.

los cazadores said...

Right here with you....definitely not alone.

Thanks for lending me some support. I knew I was bound to make someone upset with my last post, but what can I say? It was a long time in coming....it somehow just burst out. :)

Cindy

-C said...

Congratulations! This is very exciting news. I will be following your journey as well.

Since I am quite familiar with older child adoption issues, you can always come knocking on my blog for support and advice.

C-

Anonymous said...

I'm excited for you guys as you move ahead. I can't wait to see who come into your life.

Claudia said...

Hey wow - that's so exciting! I know that feeling - not specifically about fost-adopt, but where suddenly an option feels like 'yeah, okay, this is what we're going to do'. it's such a relief! Can't wait to hear lots and lots more about your journey through this. You definitely won't be on your own. xx