Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Amazing Olympic Triathlon Competition

Men's Tri was intense with a sprint finish...to really appreciate this race you need to look at the splits. The top 3 men were 16th, 22nd and 31st out of the swim, not rock stars in the first transition, slightly better on the bike (11th, 12th and 16th) and then CLOSED IT DOWN on the run with a blazing 10k of 30:46 and 30:48.

Women's Tri was also very good...and Laura Bennett (USA) was first out of the swim but hung on to 4th by the end. For a quick review of the race check this out. It is very cool. The website will not let me link directly to their storyboard...so click on events (top left of screen), and then on the left you will see a hyperlink to the Women's Olympic Triathlon, Beijing...the men's event is not yet posted...but should be good...

In other news...in my pre-blogging days or BB (Before Blogging) or BBCE (Before Blogging Common Era) I sent a mass email out to folks about J Lo's plan to train for a triathlon so that her children could be proud of her...evidently (although I did not see this interview because I am intravenously connected to only NBC affiliates since the beginning of the Olympics) she had an interview yesterday morning discussing her training and upcoming event...I am really hoping she did not say these things (e.g. what is the big deal about the swimmer guy [Phelps])...

Let's all hope she is racing in the Olympic distance, if not then this is even more frustrating...the best part of the Malibu Tri this year is the fact that Hunter Kemper and Matty Reed (from our Olympic team) are racing - not J Lo.

As for the morning run - check, done accomplished...I wanted to go a bit easy because I am riding with the boys tonight (or at least desperately trying to not be dropped by the boys until later in the ride).

1 comment:

Sydney said...

Okay I really hope JLo did not mean to imply that her "training" for a triathlon was more newsworthy than Phelps winning 8 gold. Because if it is true, then she needs to be smacked with a dose of reality. I'm not even what I consider an athlete and I get mad when I see stars getting all hot and bothered trying to get attention for doing what HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE DO EVERY YEAR with zero recognition. I hated it when a big deal was made about Katie Holmes running (pathetically) in the NY Marathon. There were probably 1000 other more compelling stories from that run... but she got all the attention. SAD!