
I know, I know you have mixed feelings about the Olympic games being held in China...and I know you are concerned about Joey Cheek whose visa was pulled by China...and for some it was probably very irritating for you when President Bush made his statements about his attendance at the Opening Ceremony...and China electing to "drop the rings" is painful...I get it and I am frustrated too...shoot my entire family goes to great lengths to not buy "Made in China" products and I have been irked about China's MFN status for decades...BUT this is the Olympics and as a former athlete I am sensitive to this...do not think that the US Olympic team isn't aware of the obvious political tension or doesn't want to take a stand on these issues as well.
Tonight, instead of this guy carrying the flag (who will more than likely be the most decorated Olympic athlete in history following these games):
Tonight, instead of this guy carrying the flag (who will more than likely be the most decorated Olympic athlete in history following these games):

The team captains for US voted that former lost boy Lopez Lomong will carry our flag - and that is why you should feel so very proud of our country and our presence at these games:

This subtle form of protest is beautiful and profound. Congratulations Team USA and thank you.
Now I know that there are the heavily covered sports and we all know that the US has an amazing swimming, gymnastic, and basketball team, etc. but keep your eyes open this weekend for these 2 athletes: Levi Leipheimer (yanked from Tour de France but will be in China) and Kristin Armstrong (more info) as the cycling road race gets going...

As for my training last night, I did not go for a run. I was invited to a new riding group that meets on Tuesdays and Thursdays so I went and rode with them. It was a hard ride and my friend and I were the only girls. So, I think I am going to start working out with them during the week until we lose the sun. Given how sore I feel right now at this present moment...I know that this is a weekly ride I want to keep...so no run, but 25 miles on the bike that should be enough for now...and...my sister-in-law just signed up for her first 1/2 marathon last night! I am pretty darn excited about that and can't wait to train with her...

2 comments:
Oh, and I really dig the name of your blog (I'm a Milan Kundera fan). I'm a huge wimp when it comes to any amount of athleticism so much admiration directed your way for all this training.
Yay for your sister-in-law!
Who's your chic in the women's olympic marathon? I've long been a gargantuan Paula Radcliffe fan. I know she's not American, but she's my gal. Next gal - Gete Wami.
I agree with you. I'm leaving my ideals in small increments to root for our amazing busting-their-asses athletes in Beijing...they deserve our support.... :)
Post a Comment