Monday, September 8, 2008

Searching for motivation

Well, I have been a wee bit in a workout slump since Disney.

What? How? Why?

It is so flipping annoying when this happens because I start to go to this "when-pigs-fly" kind of place. Work is busy and feels mostly like this (thank you Dilbert):


I ended up taking Monday, then Tuesday, then Wednesday and Thursday off...my bike was ready Friday after work. I went by to pick it up, but I forgot that my peddles were still on the bike that I borrowed. I went by that house to pick up my peddles and...no peddles. I was supposed to do a metric century on Saturday but without peddles this can be very challenging. I was a bit torn as to whether or not to do the ride in the morning before everyone came over...or just to hang out and enjoy the day. Got the call where my peddles would be on Saturday morning...but ended up enjoying family and a glass(es) of wine on Friday night - so no peddles - no riding. I enjoyed more family time which is more important anyway and that is pretty much how the weekend went down for me.

When faced with the option of going out for a run or ride - I chose air conditioning and/or pool.

Eva Luna, however, fearless and determined did go out for her long run on Sunday.

Hopefully...hopefully, talked some other people into doing the half in November. Oh yes, I have already given up all aspirations of the full in November. The "see how your long runs go in August" plan resulted in me discovering that my idea of a long run right now was an 8 miler where a handful of odd songs repeated too much, annoyed me and then turned my toes back home.

I did look at the Masters Swim schedule for September and started to imagine what it would be like to meet up with them this month...my fantasy would start off with me feeling productive, jumping ecstatically out of bed, driving to the pool...start to see the insanely better swimmers, get in people's way...and then ultimately feel like this

I know I need to do this...and it will dramatically improve my swimming. We will see...

So the plan for today, is attempt to locate my peddles again so that I can ride tomorrow. Run tonight after work (shoot I could at least do that free 20 minute workout Nike sent out for the Human Race participants)...and prove to myself once again that yes, pigs do fly...at times...when projected...

Now, I am off to further pursue the "sweet nectar of the illusion of progress."

2 comments:

Gretchen said...

4,000 square feet?! Are you friggen kidding me?

Our pad will be less than half of the absurdity you suggest, my friend. Less than half.

When were you in Ahhhspen?

los cazadores said...

OOoooh pigs swimming and flying. Heck, if that little guy can do that, then maybe I can get back up to 13 miles by octubre. A ver.

Confucious say: run in front of car get tired, run behind car get exhausted.

I guess what I'm trying to say is we all feel like that sometimes, too. :)

:)

Cindy