Here is the deal - Cancer is widespread and our family and I am sure your family has unfortunately dealt with these issues...but what I have found is that few understand the unbelievable challenges we are dealing with in funding the necessary research to more effectively fight and defeat this disease.
Why do I participate with fundraising organizations and activities to fight this disease?
Because I hate cancer, I can't stand it, I hate hearing the diagnosis, I am tired of it attacking this world, it burns me that we still do not understand the cellular realities of tumors...given the advances we have in our scientific community we need to better focus our energy.
I am going to do my best for a politically neutral statement regarding funding (and more than likely will come back later and edit this significantly)...The reality - we have finite federal and state funds...and unfortunately the agencies and budgets that are impacted by the acute delivery of care, paying for the chemo, paying for the drugs, for the hospital stays...are not the same agencies and budgets that fund research for the diseases. Consequently, we are spending significant monies delivering care that could be substantially reduced if we were more aggressively funding research to identify earlier screening and more effective treatments...unfortunately we struggle truly seeing and understanding these public health issues...and narrow policy analysis fails to address these issues...
More specifically, imagine receiving a diagnosis and then finding out that a possible drug that may have saved your loved one might have been available, but it was denied funding...
If you think that throwing money at a problem is a yellow dog response to a problem, let me be more specific - because people like you and me said hey "I am not a scientist" but I can fight this...and if grants are not going out there to fight this disease or to develop new drugs...then we will provide the money - we will do it.
We truly can fight this...you can raise thousands of dollars fighting cancer...we can make a difference...
There are many organizations and ways for you to become involved...contact your local American Cancer Society and get involved...there are so many programs and opportunities...we just need to do it...
Here is a perfect example -
I know, I know that this is kind of a lame song...and it has that geez "hands around the world" feel to it, but I like the lyrics and I like that something is being done...so just hang with me...
The heart is stronger than you think,It’s like it can go through anything.And even when you think it can’t it finds a way to still push on, though
Sometimes you want to run away, Ain’t got the patience for the pain And if you don’t believe it look into, your heart the beat goes on
I’m tellin’ you that,
Things get better, Through whatever
If you fall, dust it off, don’t let up
Don’t you know you can go be your own miracle
You need to know
CHORUS :If the mind keeps thinking you’ve had enough, But the heart keeps telling you don’t give up
Who are we to be..questioning, wondering what is what Don’t give up…THROUGH IT ALL, JUST STAND UP!
It’s like we all have better days Problems getting all up in your face
Just because you go through it
Don’t mean it got to take control, no
You ain’t gotta find no hiding place
Because the heart can beat the hate
Don’t wanna let your mind keep playin’ you
And sayin’ you can’t go on
I’m tellin’ you that
Things get better Through whatever
If you fall
Dust if off, don’t let up
Don’t you know you
Can go
Be your own
Miracle
You need to know
You don’t gotta be a prisoner in your mind
If you fall, dust it off
You can live your life
Let your heart be your guide
And you will know that you’re good if you trust in the good
Everything will be alright, yeah Light up the dark, if you follow your heart
And it will get better
Through whatever
You got it in you, find it within You got in now, find it within now You got in you, find it within You got in now, find it within now You got in you, find it within Find it within you, find it within
THROUGH IT ALL, JUST STAND UP!
Tonight, we are having yet another memorial service at our house for a beloved grandfather who recently passed away from brain cancer and in attendance is one more family member recently diagnosed with aggressive uterine cancer...the time is now.
Take a moment, say a prayer and then join us...

5 comments:
Great post. Cancer genes run strong in my family too and I don't know too many people who have never had it directly affect their life through a loved one or friend. It is a beast and I am glad you are posting this. I think cancer is one of those things that can be fought more effectively and with just a little support from each of us, we can get there.
I am so sorry for your loss.
I'm so sorry to hear about your grandfather. Know that you and yours are in my prayers.
As for Hands Across America- I LOVED that song. Couldn't hurt that I was holding someone's hand in Flagstaff, AZ on that particular day.
UNITY!
Thank you for the well wishes. The memorial was for my in-law's grandfather.
Thank you for raising awareness.Thank you for all of your support. And you are right...there are many things cancer 'can't' do. Also, last Saturday my brother-in -law was singing to my mom-in-law as I mentioned. He sang Indigo Girls songs. Weird huh? What are the chances?
AND from experience I can tell you that there is no dog better than a 'rescue dog from LA' we have two and we would be lost without them.
And Seal? Don't even get me started. LOVE him.
Thanks again.
Oh, I'm sorry to hear of your loss. Will say a prayer. This is a beautiful post. My husband has someone very dear to him pass away from cancer not too long ago. Was extremely difficult.
Cindy
Post a Comment