Monday, September 15, 2008

Claiming our own sun

Now that we have officially informed all of our family, I am comfortable sharing that dear husband ("DH") and I are formally and completely done with all fertility treatments. We cancelled our October cycle and are fully committed to adoption. But this isn't an easy transition for me. I do not feel that it is because I am somewhat clinging to the possibilities of an IVF cycle, but rather I think most of my fear is premised on this horrible mind numbing beat down that I have endured for years that results in me feeling, in general, inadequate, unprepared and fundamentally flawed. The failure of the elusive 2 pink lines to a successful pregnancy leaves me with this sinking feeling that somehow someway I will fail adoption as well. As though, when I put our entire lives in writing and submit our application someone is going to look at it and say "that pee stick was right - no way - no kids for you."

Here is the deal...and maybe this is simply part I in Filoli's Grand Fertility Adventure Closure - I was diagnosed with endometriosis when I was 19. By 21 I had multiples procedures to deal with it. My OB/GYN who I just loved was very frank with me that I would more than likely have considerable challenges. Years go by, I move and travel, end up seeing other doctors, the pain continues, ebbs and flows...I end up with a doctor who is helping me with acupuncture and she starts sharing with me that my problems seem very much like her problems and they ended up adopting. She shares openly and honestly with me about her challenges, procedures, and ultimately their journey towards adopting their children. At this point in my life, I was 100% comfortable and excited about adoption. I felt like it was a unique blessing. I was young and carefree but met my husband soon after that...

So then I meet my husband and go through what we all go through which is that amazing awestruck love and passion for your husband and all of the sudden feel a deep connection with this man that you want to build a life with...you want a family...you want to continue their genius...you want the world to continue to feel the grace and love of this individual for generations to come...

DH and I discussed openly my medical problems and talked about adoption...we were excited about this as a life option...and then life happened...

We went through some challenging and rough times. We lost DH's dad suddenly and quickly to lung cancer. Soon after his father's death, DH's aunt was diagnosed with cancer as well. During her battle with cancer, I was shocked to my core when I was sitting one day at the office and I received a call that my best friend from undergrad died in a plane accident with her husband and children. We lost DH's aunt eventually to cancer and then in a blink of an eye his uncle was diagnosed with cancer and passed away as well.

But life wasn't done throwing our family curve balls, on a Christmas morning as we waited for DH's step-sister to come over to celebrate the holiday, we were visited by a sheriff and found she had slipped away from us as well. But more was in store...one of DH's best friends who lived with him for years and was a co-conspirator in a million adventures (one of my favorites was his anti-war protest before the Iraq war where they spelled out "think" with a bunch of white crosses in a valley for tourists to see). He stopped to take a picture of a moose, got back in his car, drove along and then crashed his car into another moose - just like that he was gone from us. Painfully and suddenly gone from us.

Then we lost a dear sweet friend to a stroke - who could imagine that someone under 30 could have a stroke - but she did and we all lost, the world lost one more smile, one more amazing person...and then there was the call that DH's other best friend, affectionately now referred to as Speedbump, (Confession's husband) was hit by a car. Speedbump being tough, fierce and probably just so damn stubborn was able to survive - and now has a beautiful little girl, a D-day and a new birthday. Speedbump pulling through was and still feels like one of those great and amazing blessings in our lives - I am tearing up - so I can't talk about this anymore...

My point is this - somewhere in dealing with death we began to cherish life in new and profound ways...and one way was the idea of having children. I think I felt pressure to try because DH's dad talked to both DH and I about continuing his name and the importance of family. Our desire to have a family wasn't predicated on one simple thing, rather it was the result of many joyful and precious moments that left us wanting and willing to pursue a family...but it wasn't easy...and we went through fertility treatments and then miscarriages...and then new diagnoses and possible misdiagnosis...and then new factors and troubles...

May 15th was and will be one of those dates that I will remember forever. On that date, I was able to see the continued havoc endometriosis was wreaking on my body despite surgeries and efforts to stop it. Scar tissue had significantly remodeled my body and when the radiologist, nurses and technicians audibly gasped at the image, and then quickly tried to hide their reactions - I knew in that moment, that it was over and this would be the closest thing I would ever get to an ultrasound...and I remember thinking that where everyone else has those fuzzy ultrasound pictures that I embarassingly cannot discern, I had this, and it was just as important and just as much gestational to any child we would have.

From that moment the tuning fork of my soul kept centering me on adoption - and oddly, Ethiopia. I don't know how to articulate and describe (or can even really pretend to understand why) but that is where my soul started to feel at home...and that is what we started to talk about.

Although I travel with DH he is still always very much on his own journey (which is one of my favorite things about marriage) and he went through his own process. We did continue some efforts over the summer but as we were gearing up for this October cycle we suddenly realized that for both of us this cycle was a much more expensive and invasive Gift of the Magi story and neither of us really wanted this - it wasn't who we are or what we wanted and both of our souls have traveled to a place that focused exclusively on adoption.

This does not mean that I am overwhelmed with confidence and without any inhibitions or concerns. I think more than anything I just wanted to get out of my head (where most of these thoughts are circling) this new focus, because I think I need to speak it and write it to fully embrace it and move on.

DH's mother asked me if DH and I talked about why continuing the family name was important to DH's dad. She said that it was about starting something new - a clean and fresh start, new possibilities and a new future. I now think we have found in adoption that we are truly fulfilling that family legacy and dream.

8 comments:

Lonnie said...

Wow- I'm so sorry you've experienced so much loss. It's amazing to me that you seem to stay positive. Your blog reminded me a lot of our decision to stop with the fertility treatments and focus on adoption. I think that many unhappy endings (while trying to get pregnant) make it more difficult to "trust" that adoption will happen. I still find it hard to tell people that we're adopting because it doesn't always feel real. It is getting easier though. I found myself telling people that I'd just met that we were "expecting" through adoption on Friday. Best of luck with your process. Thanks for sharing your story.

Lost in Space said...

This was so beautifully written. You and your husband have been through and lost so much. I hope your journey through adoption fulfills your dreams of growing your family. I can only imagine how happy and proud your FIL would be.

I know how hard these thoughts can be to get out and I am so glad you shared them. It can be a little bittersweet to have a plan and a path to move forward on while saying goodbye to a different journey that just didn't work out. Keep following your heart as I truly believe it holds the path to your baby.

I'm excited to follow along as you start the adoption process. Congratulations!!

Julie said...

What a strong woman you are. I mean, I knew you were strong, but wow. What a huge amount of loss for two people. I am so sorry. No wonder you are apprehensive about your adoption, frankly I am amazed that you can get out of bed in the morning.

Your adoption will happen. I know it. We are here to help you get there. Your thoughts are both devastating and beautiful. Thanks for sharing them. I am excited for you guys. Your own 'sun' is on its way. Great joy is coming. It is right around the corner.

los cazadores said...

I'm so struck by all you've been through. There has been so much to deal with in your lives; so much suffering to those you love. I am really sorry to read that. I'm glad to hear you've come to a decision to end one avenue and go down a next in that I hope you feel a peace there. Thanks for being so candid and sharing your feelings and thoughts - you help us all to appreciate life when we can see it through what you've experienced.

I am excited for you to start your adoption journey and to follow along with you!

Oh and I feel the same way about McCain - "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH" - lol!

Cindy

Trishie said...

What a beautifully written and thoughtful post. I am so sorry to hear about all the loss you and your DH have endured -- especially at such a young age. I am really looking forward to hearing about the adoption process. I think adoption is so beautiful. There was an IKEA commercial (I think it was Ikea) several years ago where the family just adopted a kid, and they were at Ikea shopping for new furniture. At the end the kid says "Adoption means somebody wants you!" and it just warmed my heart.

Mrs. Engelhardt said...

Thanks for your comment. I just read through your blog and loved it! This post reminded me so much of when we decided to just end all of the fertility reatments and focus 100 % on adoption. We felt the same way...."no baby for you" It happens though! Can't wait to continue watching your journey! Congratulations!

Confessions said...

Truly inspiring. Thanks for writting from your heart and sharing it with all of us.

Gretchen said...

Thank you for writing that. In a very eloquent manner you were able to describe many of my feelings- especially the one's that relate to inadequacy and being fundamentally flawed.

What a journey you and your beloved have been on. So much pain and loss. So much.

As your picture stated- you're moving forward. Congratulations.