Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Leonard = Not So Much for Endurance

After work, I checked the mail and my trusty diversion dealer, Netflix, had finally delivered

and I was very excited to watch it. But I knew that my parents would love it as well. So I had this bright idea that I would pack up the dogs and we would run 4 miles over to my parents, eat dinner, watch the movie, and then they could give me a ride back. I knew Leonard being a little guy would be challenged, but I (being an idiot) thought we could walk a mile, run super slow for 2, then walk the last mile over to their house.

I call my dad, he says "great" come on over, I get in touch with my mom and she says, "there is no way Leonard can make it." I being said idiot insist that I think he will like it and once we get out there with Eleanor he will have a blast. Mom who is not an idiot inquires as to which way I plan to go and tells me that she has to run an errand at a friends but will double back on my route "just in case." I said that would be fine, but I really think we can do it. I have confidence.

So, with Eleanor and Leonard packed and ready to go I head out. We get to the gate of our property and the big dog, Rocco, is out and will not turn back...he is essentially a dog horse and is stressing out the little dogs, so we turn around to corral the beast (this is not his best picture)
I put Rocco back into one of the smaller fenced yards,and try again to head out for this new fun adventure. We walk the first mile and Leonard is a model citizen. He is just perfect on the leash. Eleanor is killing me with her impatience - she is ready to run. Finally, we hit the run mark, the bridge, Eleanor is squealing with delight because she knows we are about to take off. Leonard is blissfully ignorant.

We start running nice and slow...super easy and loose. Leonard is keeping up pretty good. I am feeling quite smug and happy. I am keeping El slow despite her best efforts to increase the pace. Leonard starts to slow down a bit. Totally fine - I am learning his pace and adjust.

Next thing I know, Eleanor is about 2 feet in front of me and Leonard 2 feet behind me and slipping further and further away. The only remote benefit at this point is that because I am running with my upper body sideways I am getting an interesting oblique workout.

Leonard stops...just stops moving and edges further over on the shoulder. Eleanor and I think that perhaps "he needs to use the facilities" if you will. He does...and then just stands there and looks at me like "this wasn't exactly what I had in mind when you asked if I wanted to go for a walk." He stands absolute and firm in his decision - thrusting his little legs forward and stiff into the ground, clearly announcing that he will not be moving forward, not one bit.

It took me all of 1 second to assess the situation and realize that Leonard's walk was over. I pick him up and Eleanor and I continue on. But attempting to run a dog and carry dog proved to be a foolish endeavor. I was left carrying Leonard while attempting to walk an annoying Eleanor who keeps looking at me like I am some crazy woman who completely misrepresented "walk."

Step after step I kept thinking "I really hope mom comes by...any minute now she is going to come by." I hear a car slow down behind me and excitedly turn to hand off my pup only to find lost National Forest workers. I send them in the right direction and continue on. Eventually, a car slows and it was the relief that I needed. I hand off Leonard and he falls asleep almost instantly in her lap.
Eleanor and I run the rest of the way...and to teach her a lesson, I was running pretty hard. We were pacing at 7 minute miles. El just kept pulling and pulling - show off. Finally, I was able to get her at the very end of the run. I know, such a champion, I outran a 7 lb dog.

So the lesson of the day for me was that Leonard = 1 mile.
Now for true success, check out Confession's post about hitting her 30 mile mark and finally getting her running club shirt. For context, here is her first pub run. I am so flipping excited for her I can hardly stand it.
Oh, and Marathon Challenge was pretty good. I enjoyed it. You can go here for more information.
Hasta la vista!

5 comments:

Lost in Space said...

This whole post just made me smile. From your adorable furbaby names to your 7 lb "ruler" who refused to move. Too cute.

Confessions said...

So funny. Thanks for including me. Oh yeah, and my dear speedbump is getting his blog up and running. Will keep you posted.

los cazadores said...

"olique workout" - LOL!!!

That was funny! Bob would never, ever, ever run, not even one whole mile. I'll check out the post on the 30 miler - that is a whopping achievement.

Cindy

Claudia said...

Love this! I love that you even got him to run a mile - that's a pretty amazing achievement when you consider the length of his little legs :) Must be about 26 in human miles...

Lonnie said...

Great post. I've been meaning to reserve that movie from the library. Thanks for reminding me. I limit my run with my doggie to 4 miles around Green Lake- she'd go farther- but my arm is plenty stretched out from her pulling by then.