Monday, March 16, 2009

Miscellaneous Monday

For more on Germany's intended homage to the American lifestyle and President Obama, click here. I also enjoy that in the article the German spokesperson feels compelled to state that "fingers" is a reference for finger food and not intended to suggest fingers - you silly Americans. I wonder if our buffalo wings, Miracle Whip and Capri Sun are driving them mad with confusion.

Finished reading

If you love a good blog, you will love this book. It is a fast and quick read - insightful, poignant, snarky, giggly and informative - oh and she curses which I simply adore. I don't quite know how you can talk about cancer and not say "fuck." Anyway, I don't do book reviews and loathed book reports as a child. I prefer to just hang out and talk about it...so all I really can say is if you are interested and your life has been touched by cancer, or you want to hear a fresh voice of a black author with black parents yet raised in the upper tiers of white privilege and her perspective, or if you wonder what thoughts a mother might think when faced with the idea that she might leave her child motherless - just pick it up. If you hate it, keep it to yourself.

This weekend Alpha and I both received our water safety certificate. I wish I could say that we learned something surprising and new. Honestly, Alpha was a lifeguard, I have done 2 ice rescues in my life, will swim for over 2 miles in open water, and take out the tri newbies for first time open water swims...the only thing we learned is that we need to contact the Red Cross and get certified to teach the class because that would have been an easy $500 dollars for an afternoon of work.


BUT - the positive is that we are moving slowly towards our final fost-adopt certification.

If only there wasn't a damn fence in the way...

3 comments:

los cazadores said...

Congrats on moving closer to the fost-adopt cert. Awesome.

Plus, that books sounds ripe. (I think "Ripe" is going to be my new term for like "good," "bad as in good," "awesome," "I think I like")

Cindy

Confessions said...

Damn the fence!!

Speedbump said...

Oh those wacky Germans and their racial faux pas! If it had been McCain would we be getting stale wonder bread snacks?

Indeed damn the fence. They never stopped me when I was a kid.