Monday, March 9, 2009

[Color] You to Find [Adjective] Hope Here

I know that video posts and a bunch of links can be annoying and are somewhat anti-blog, but that is what I have today (at least for now).

Caught this out of the corner of my eye this morning...






Visit msnbc.com for Breaking News, World News, and News about the Economy



and I thought I would play this for you as well...






In my Dr. Google consults to deal with our Eva Luna's health crisis, I found this book:

Lopsided: How Having Breast Cancer Can Be Really Distracting
by Meredith Norton

Here is an interview with the author about the book and her experience.



About Health - August 4, 2008 at 2:00pm

Click to listen (or download)


I am a bit shocked at the parallels between Eva Luna and Meredith. Particularly, with her age at diagnosis, having a young child, sending a mass "I have cancer" email...the challenges of it all. If I knew how to entice a guest blogger, I would totally get her.



I had a conversation Friday night that reminded me of a bunch of things I was planning on posting about regarding adoption that temporarily escaped me due to sudden and unforeseen issues. I think it is time to start coming back to these issues. Particularly, as we move forward with our adoption process. Also, I was reading another blog this weekend and I think it is time to talk about some of our experiences, opportunities and challenges that have impacted our choices. Specifically, I would like to talk about the fost-adopt process and our experience so far. How we ended up here...our thoughts, hopes and fears. I did this but there is more to the story and so much has changed with me - in me - since this post.



I have to share this because I think if you have read my blog or know me you will appreciate this story:

At lunch today, a friend and I were discussing how someone we know seems to be struggling with "getting it" regarding Eva Luna's cancer diagnosis and how when you try to talk about it you get these random, bizarre, flight-from-reality responses. (Although, I think "getting it" is a challenge even for those that "got it" because it seems so unnatural and unwelcome in your life.) My friend says arms-waving in exasperation, "it is like talking to a romance novel." I lost it with laughter. Our conversation moves forward and we are talking about a million different things (okay, maybe 15), finally I asked, "I know I am not a romance novel...but what literary analogy would you use for a conversation with me?"



Without hesitation she responded, "mad libs."

4 comments:

Christine said...

oh my gosh, I love the "talking to a romance novel" concept. I've got some friends and family who are like that, every decision is emotionally laced, most decisions are based on having "no other choices....." Then I have a brother who is like talking to the textbook for a college class, most likely "Logic 101."

So, from your writing, I could see you being mad-libbish and I definitely think that is a compliment.

Christine

los cazadores said...

I love that I come to your blog and find the words "literary" and "madlibs" used in the same sentence.

Hugs to you and Eva Luna,

Cindy

Claudia said...

Hey there, miss filoli:
I want to send you a proper letter. Can you let me know your address??

Tim said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.