Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Life Itself


For those that thought a cancer diagnosis in my family would scare me away from my passion of the fermented grape, the answer is a resounding "no." I am aware of the study talking about the links between alcohol and cancer. I am also aware of the study promoting red wine for heart health. I can even find a study promoting wine to prevent esophageal cancer. Not to be outdone there is yet another study promoting red wine for brain health and longevity. I also know that my stepfather-in-law's cardiologist is fairly certain that his recent heart health issues were due to him refraining from red wine for 3 months.

Here is the deal, adult world. Life is a risk endeavor. Choose your risks and understand the importance of moderation in all things (except for eating your vegetables).

In essence, a positive could be a negative and a negative could be a positive depending on the context. Oh no, context!

This is life. This is viticulture. This is wine.

Viticulture comes from the Latin root 'vit' - life, 'vita' - life itself.

Viticulture is not the same as agriculture. Agriculture is a science that seeks to eliminate variables, promote homogenization, mass production and consistency, consistency and consistency. Whereas viticulture seeks to encourage individuality and the cultivation of variables. (Granted this is a romantic notion and we all know that the wine industry has a dark underbelly but allow me my gloss. It's been a hard couple of weeks. Regarding dark underbelly, we will get to that someday.)

A fine wine is born in the vineyard. Ignore the fancy machines and computers. Even today the most notable wines take root in the vineyard. The life of wine starts from bare root stock and dirt.

What I find to be unique and fascinating about the grape to glass odyssey, is that fine wine, truly amazing, complex and deep wine is dependent on stress. As someone dealing with her fair share of stress lately, I have found myself many a night last week savoring a glass of wine and thinking "you survived your journey."

Vines need balance. In the vineyard, any one element of climate might be a positive or negative depending on the context - deja vu. For instance, a vine with too little leaf canopy may not give the grape enough food and burn the grape. However, a vine with too many leaves might prevent formation and ripening thereby compromising the fruitfulness of the vine.

It's a balance. It's life.

But my favorite thing, the thing that my friend and I were laughing about this weekend, is that grapes really need STRESS. Turns out good wine is a bit of a drama queen and needs a little adversity before it wows you.

For a vine, the ideal condition is not so perfect.

This may not be true for most plants. Particularly for the plants fighting to stay alive in my office. But for the grape, it is gospel. To create character and spunk in the fruit you must first have a challenge. Obviously, you can't stress them out too much. You don't want to put the vine in shock or permit conditions for the vine to shut down completely.

Just some stress is needed...enough to give you character and cocktail party stories.

So the wine grape must endure adversity. The grape must struggle so that it will learn to adapt. The vine needs to do a little work to grow, to be forced to concentrate the sugar and limit the clusters to create a perfect yield for the wine.

This challenge will result in a wine of greater character and concentration.

This pain is the making of fine wine.

This is life itself.

7 comments:

Christine said...

Oh, nothing I love more than a beautifully written analogy. And I love that word: Viticulture. I told my husband that I was going to start earmarking some blog entries from brilliant women I come across and this one is getting the mark. I love what you said about stressing the vine to make the grapes bear great wine, it really struck me. You see! This is how my whole morning gets spent leisurely enjoying others' beautiful writing. Now I am off on a viticulture tangent. I am relieved to find you so centered in your thoughts and words. I've had you on my mind. Take care, girl.

Christine

Julie said...

Sending this to the non-blog reading husband. The word 'viticulture' makes him all tingly inside.

Tim said...

I want to drink this post up! My new mantra: "To create character and spunk in the fruit you must first have a challenge."

Also, I should stress that I have not been invited to a blog union, know no details of blog union (other than that one supposedly exists), won't attend blog union (at least not this year), but enjoy the speculation of inflicting myself on blog union. The surprise is the genuine consideration of attendance.

Can you every now and then write a bozo post so I can leave ridiculous, non sequitur comments without feeling like I'm sullying something thoughtful and sophisticated?

Anonymous said...

Oh I love this post!

I spent 4 years working in viticulture, and I still miss it every single day.

Vine stress is an awesome analogy - well said!

Claudia said...

I love the note about 'cocktail party stories'. I'm going to think of that next time : 'this wine sure has some good stories to tell'.

Lovely, lovely!!

Anonymous said...

I love your writing. I need to spend more time getting to know you when my little one is asleep and not so restless. She disturbs the peace that your writing so profoundly emits.

Waiting, cancer, a fearful America...one needs to draw strength from the vine.

los cazadores said...

I love the picture of those grapes. Your writing is always beautiful.

Wish I were there to dance with you!!!

Cindy