Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Waiting

There is a lot of waiting going on right now. There is waiting for referrals, waiting for court dates, waiting for paperwork to be returned, waiting to be waiting, waiting for surgical consults, waiting for surgery dates, waiting for people to get here, waiting to go somewhere, waiting to heal, worrying about waiting, waiting for things to change, waiting to see if things stay the same...

waiting.


So last night I was trying to calm down enough to write my letters for the sisters in the Blessing Way, and I was waiting for the inspiration to hit me. I was waiting for the words trying to figure out what it is that I want to say, what if anything could be of value. I am struggling with my sense of voice lately because I feel like everything is too emotional, too raw, too much. Then I started to think about Eva Luna's impending battle with cancer and I was looking for words that somehow describe fear, anger, love and hope...and pissed off. I have been thinking about what to give her, what to do for her, wondering if we should do a bead theme for her at the party...

you know random, tangential, pinball bouncing in your head kind of thinking.


So, I was reading a little Raymund Carver looking for thoughts and words, just trying to find a place to rest mine, thinking that someone has felt all of this before and will again,

and I found this, and my whole heart and mind thought of you,

yes, you,

no, not her or them,

you,

so for you I give you,

Waiting,


by Raymond Carver


Left off the highway and
down the hill. At the
bottom, hang another left.
Keep bearing left. The road
will make a Y. Left again.
There's a creek on the left.
Keep going. Just before
the road ends, there'll be
another road. Take it
and no other. Otherwise,
your life will be ruined
forever. There's a log house
with a shake roof, on the left.
It's not that house. It's
the next house, just over
a rise. The house
where trees are laden with
fruit. Where phlox, forsythia,
and marigold grow. It's
the house where the woman
stands in the doorway
wearing sun in her hair. The one
who's been waiting
all this time.
The woman who loves you.
The one who can say,
"What's kept you?"

5 comments:

los cazadores said...

Love the Raymond Carver. Beautiful.

Cindy

Julie said...

What Cindy said.
Also, why doesn't your feed show up on Blogger for HOURS? I want things right when you publish them! (:

Tim said...

You are the coolest of the cool, and the dearest of the dear.

Claudia said...

oooh, oooh, ooooh.... GOOSEBUMPS. I've never read that before.

Evelyn said...

Nothing like the simplicity of poetry to help explain our longings. Thanks for sharing!