Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Cost of Cancer

Even with private insurance (not uninsured or underinsured), cancer is expensive. New procedures, drugs and interventions are available and will continue to be available in the future at an exponential rate. Good news. Bad news - costs increase.

So as Quality is improving at an exponential rate.

So is Cost.

Increased Cost means decreased Access.

But if you are able to Access your needed health care, what is the Cost?

Please set aside a few minutes to watch this video,



Visit msnbc.com for Breaking News, World News, and News about the Economy



Another important link to another video - here

Here is a link to the Febuary 2009 report "Spending to Survive: Cancer Patients Confront Holes in the Health Insurance System."

Despite having private health insurance, cancer patients are running up large debts, filing for personal bankruptcy, and even delaying or forgoing treatment because they can't afford care.

But, don't we all - every one of us - deserve Access to Quality health care.

What are those costs to our society when we are not able to provide Access to those that are uninsured or underinsured?



June 27, 2009

is

National Health Care Day of Service



Are we going to make a difference?

Are we going to try and change this?

Am I my brother's keeper?

Are we a village?

6 comments:

Claudia said...

It's the same kind of monumental unfairness as having to pay for fertility treatments, but even WORSE. Or that AIDS treatment isn't available to the countries that really need it. Unthinkably awful.

I'm afraid I can't watch the videos, because I'm getting the music much louder than the video soundtrack and i don't know how to turn the music off. Arrgghhh, sorry, I'm such a useless klutz at this stuff.

los cazadores said...

Yeah I just saw a segment on this this morning on either the Today Show or Good Morning America (first time I've been able to watch a whole episode of any one of these for years)... it's got to change.

Cindy

Waiting for Zufan! said...

The whole health care system is a MESS, I agree! It is so unfair. It is incredibly difficult to get insurance in the first place if you have anything other than a traditional 9-5 job, working for a big company. And then, when a person does have coverage, it doesn't cover all it should. Go Obama, things have got to change.

And P.S. -- I'm working on the race report. :)

los cazadores said...

Why are you having a bad one. Just come over, friend, and we'll have a margarita together. Gawd, I wish you lived close. Come back to grad school at OU, no really...this time for meteorology or something. Anything. Come back. I've got a Coors Light waiting for you in the fridge (don't laugh, it's Craig's fav)...

Cindy

Trishie said...

So sad, and so scary

Jen said...

Thank you for sharing these.