What do you care about right now?
I mean - really care about.
Are we a society that even does truly compassionately care?
Are we capable of caring
or has it been beaten out of us by this constant blaring white noise to consume and blinding mantra that we are all supposed to chant in praise of capitalism and free market that benefits the few?
Do you care?
And what do you really want to know about anymore?
I mean - people are all over the place right now with pink-puffy-irate faces bellowing about health care reform.
But what do you care? Do you care that this discourse is absolutely Opposite Huzzah (fucking) ridiculous?
Do you know the 4 principle models of health care delivery?
Do you care that the fundamental flaw in our system is that we attempt to employ all 4 said models in our health care delivery system?
Do you really care that Congress admonished Mr. "You Lie!" today?
Do you care that Kanye apologized to Taylor after her appearance on "The View" today?
Do you care that despite many a philanthropic dollar sent to charities that some of our most devastating decisions that create food crises in developing nations occur in your grocery store?
Do you care that communities in our country have no access to grocery stores which creates distressing and devastating food deserts?
Do you care that one of the funniest and most disturbing odd parables I have observed in modern times is the fact that the first GMO trademarked was for a tomato which is affectionately referred to as a Love Apple?
Do you care that the modern forbidden fruit might again be an apple?
Do you care that I don't believe that the original sin was eating the apple, but rather when Eve added to word of God when communicating to Adam "what God said" to her?
Do you care that I can't stop thinking about Life is Elsewhere in this current enraging political climate?
Do you care that I was the only person that bid on an autographed picture of Jimmy Carter the other night at a fundraising benefit?
Do you care that I started rereading Unbearable Lightness of Being last night when I couldn't find my copy of Life is Elsewhere?
Do you care that I had an overwhelming desire to punch some poor woman in the nose the other day for making some innocent "you deserve those children, not her..." comment?
Do you care that much to her dismay I inappropriately felt compelled to launch into an "every child deserves a relationship with their birthparents" speech followed by an application of best interests analysis?
Do you care that I apologized later?
Do you care that the drought issues in California are getting substantially worse and that we are only now getting a substantive implementation of "only serving water upon request" at restaurants in select communities?
Do you care that I am obsessed with an idea that all communities without access to a grocery store that provides adequate supplies of organic and whole foods should start a co-op?
Do you care that the projected new cancer diagnosis rate for this year was 1,479,350?
Do you care that the CEO for Whole Foods published an op-ed piece arguing against "Obamacare" where he articulated a critique against a health care entitlement program that is NOT being proposed and committed a number of other unforgivable logical fallacies?
Do you care that a glacier is shrinking?
Do you care that a species is endangered?
Do you care about the alleged backroom Big Pharma deal?
Do you care that I have some mystery stain on my shirt?
Do you care that I have no idea what to do for dinner tonight?
Do you care that all I want to do right now is dive head first into the deepest glass of wine man has ever made?
I get it.
There is just flat out too much in the world to care about and a substantial amount that doesn't deserve [wink, wink] our care.
But how could this possibly mean that the answer is inertia?
Friday Funny 2441: Parenting Funnies
1 year ago

4 comments:
ok
i don't care about everything on your list but i guess i have a few of my own to add to yours
inertia - no no no no
i know it's frustrating but you know we're out here
we are
and we all should get as divinely frustrated as you!
keep speaking out.
I remember listening to a "Street Smarts" cassette (yes, cassette) when I was a teen and the officer said that if you are ever in trouble you should yell "fire" instead of "help" because people don't tend to get involved unless they can feel something directly. I think that is when most people really start to care about generally anything. Compassionately care? Yeah, our society is seriously lacking.
Adding to what Lost in Space said, I was told that if I was being raped to call out "FIRE!" because people would be much more likely to help out a victim of a fire than a victim of a rape. Sigh.
Most of your topics are on my list of worries. The healthcare debate is high up there. A friend related her sister's opinion the other day: She thinks because she makes her six figure income, her kids should receive better health care than someone who makes less, like it is a sliding scale of quality of care depending on your income. I am a naive asshole, because I thought people were so 'scared' of socialism, but what they really want is to be above others.
Blech.
I love your raw openness to the world. You are a beautiful soul.
Post a Comment