No not that.
The other F-word. The word that we are too uncomfortable to use in polite company.
The F-word that isn't supposed to matter anymore.
Feminist.
[loud gasp]
"No don't say it!," they cry.
If you are interested in WTF (what-the-feminist) is going on in the world today, you should check out The Means of Reproduction: Sex, Power and the Future of the World by Michelle Goldberg. (Although, I am loath to oversimplify this work as feminist since that will mean most women in the West will then simply refuse to read it.)
Let's put it this way: If you give money to this organization, or this organization, or even this organization. You will probably want to check out this book.
I keep forgetting to mention it to you, but it is quite good, quite disturbing, and I dare say, quite important.
I will confess, I have a bit of an F-crush on Michelle's voice right now.
Read it. Even if you hate it, disagree with it, or find it somewhat failing in anyway, I think our global discussion on gender issues and poverty will be remarkably improved if we have all read this piece.
Friday Funny 2441: Parenting Funnies
1 year ago

1 comment:
I'll take a look at it, but I will say that I am proud to call myself a feminist. Sad that what was once a proud and powerful word is now viewed by many young women as a dirty one.
Post a Comment