
First off...no I am not...
it is an expression that for some reason I just can't escape lately...
when I was 14 a very close friend found out she was pregnant...
I was with her when she told her parents...
she said "I'm a little bit pregnant..."
her father promptly responded...
"you can't be a little bit pregnant...you either are or you are not..."
she was...
then you go through fertility issues...
in this world sometimes they call a 'miscarriage' a "little bit pregnant"
because they think that might "help"
or you go through IVF and you enter PUPO...
Pregnant Until Proven Otherwise...
this is an infuriating period because you are chemically telling your body you are pregnant...
and you have little implanted embryos inside you...
and you are thinking...please dear god don't let my body reject this process...
come on stupid body...
be positive...
be more positive...
be pregnant...
not otherwise...
maybe this is a little bit pregnant...
then you have chemical pregnancies...
those suck as well...
but if you tell someone and describe it as a little bit pregnant....
they might say "oh, then you weren't really pregnant..."
it is all so confusing...and deflating...
then you start the adoption process...
you are a pre-adoptive parent...
someone calls you paper pregnant...
because somewhere there was an article or conference or group that decided maybe we should call this process paper pregnancy to allow women who will not experience pregnancy feel included...or maybe it was thought of as a tool to engender emotional and gestational expectations associated with the placed child...
I don't know...
if your stupid home owner's insurance continues to send you another family's documents instead of yours thereby keeping your file incomplete...
does that mean you are just a little bit paper pregnant...
if you are being forced to rework elements of your paperwork is that a paper miscarriage...
oh the horrors...
all I know is that I am not paper pregnant...
others...you know who you are...have written about this struggle...
it is an odd term for me...
I struggle with it...
maybe it is because when my friend was 14
and we told her parents unequivocally
"she is having this baby and placing it for adoption."
and she went through endless months of swelling and doctor's visits,
and meeting with attorneys...
looking at pictures...
dealing with her family...
dealing with her friends...
dealing with strangers...
being sent away to live somewhere else so that no one would see her "show"
told to be ashamed and this was a mistake...
told by prospective parents to be proud and this was a miracle...
not a one time did she and I ever talk about the prospective adoptive parents as paper pregnant.
it never occurred to us...
when the adoption agreement was finalized and everyone agreed that the adoptive family would provide an annual letter and pictures...
we didn't think of this as paper parenting...
it was just the way it would be...
it was just the way this relationship seemed to resolve...
boy baby with them...her alone...
and before it was...
boy baby with her...them alone...
it was like we were on some bizarre loss scale
and the weights were suddenly and irrevocably flipped...
and then they stopped sending the letters and the pictures...
she is alone now...
and they stopped...
we stayed up late and cried...
she wrote a letter...
"by providing an annual letter and pictures it allows me a window to see my child..to let me know that he is alright...by stopping you have closed the window and I feel painfully cut off...all I ever asked for was the window to be open...I never asked that you open the door, just leave the window open..."
we drove to the lawyer's office...
by now we were 16...
we were so adult...
she was pregnant again...
we dropped off the letter...
they never responded...
we wrote another letter...
we dropped it off...
silence
silence
silence
I wondered to myself do they treat him this way...
are they just silent about this life that gave life that brought life to them...
she kept this baby...
but she never had another child...
I am not paper pregnant.
I don't know what I am...
and I am struggling with my own sense of identity in this process...
I feel as though everyone has more important roles than me...
[sigh]
but I do know...
I am not paper pregnant.

9 comments:
I never really liked the term "paper pregnant" and that's why I don't use it.
I'm sorry. I'm at a loss for words...
Cindy
I'm just going to say ditto what Cindy said (exactly).
And there are lots of healing vibes coming your way from the blogosphere.
That adoption story is horrible! I'm so sorry!
This is an incredibly moving post. Honestly, it's just so raw and powerful. Thank God someone out here is brave enough to express some genuine anger and frustration about this long, often lonely process.
I hate it when I or people in my life who don't know matter use pregnancy metaphors when talking about our adoption.
I'm going to borrow a friend's recent Facebook status update to give you a sense of the general mood down here in otherwise sunny Austin.
[Mama Dog] is monstrously overwhelmed and hates everyone in this world. (Except you.)
That said: Do not start messing with my Beyonce. Or. I. Will. Cut. You.
You may not be a little bit pregnant, paper pregnant or any other odd term- but you are one amazing woman and you just blew me away with this post.
Wow, Filoli, so much raw honesty in this post. I am so glad you shared it with us all, but am also so sorry this is your reality.
Keep it coming.....
Hugs.
This process is so drawn out and filled with mishaps. I am so sorry that you are feeling that pain. Just when we get excited we get frustrated. For instance, I finally got my medical form and it was notarized at the doctor's office. I go to compile all of my dossier work finally and notice the notary forgot to use her stamp on my medical form. But as quickly as the problem was created it was resolved and I keep moving forward. The ups and downs are so emotional. It was emotional with my miscarriage. It was emotional with my pregnancy and birth of my daughter Eva. Now it is emotional trying to adopt. Hoping...praying to God that all of this work and paper will turn out to be a child for us that needs a home because we sure as heck need this child. Feeling some of your pain. But also very happy to be walking this journey with you. *hug*
Theresa
Oh. Yeah.
You are so right.
Occasionally at work I get the 'so, I guess it's kind of like being pregnant, huh? HUH?????' comments. To which the only appropriate answer is 'shut up before I kill you with this stapler', I think.
Yeah, you are right about the pregnant comments. Your writing has such a poetic quality, floating thoughts. I like that, it's like listening to you talk (not that I've ever heard you speak, but I imagine that you talk like that).
It's hard to put words to some states of being. You're doing it, though.
Post a Comment