
This is a 16 slice CAT Scan of the lungs.

Definitely better.
This is a 64 Slice CAT Scan of the lungs.

Again, a 64 Slice CAT Scan of the lungs.

In the category of "The More You Know" or "Filoli Cancer Tips and Insights" we should discuss the following:
Turns out that 25% of lung cancers do not exhibit any symptoms and are identified through routine or pre-op chest x-rays or CAT scans.
In the subcategory "WTF," lung cancer survival rates are dramatically lower than other cancers despite advances in survival research.
More specifically:
Since the enactment of the National Cancer Act of 1971 (Public Law 92-218; 85 Stat. 778), coordinated and comprehensive research has raised the 5-year survival rates for breast cancer to 88%, for prostate cancer to 99%, and for colon cancer to 64%.
However, the 5-year survival rate for lung cancer is still only 15%
(as in 1971).
Without a doubt a similar coordinated and comprehensive research effort is required to achieve increases in lung cancer survivability rates.
60% of lung cancer cases are now diagnosed as nonsmokers or former smokers.
Lung cancer mortality reduction should be made a national public health priority.
Without a doubt early detection saves lives.
Presently, all post-5 year survivors are accidental survivors who were asymptomatic and CAT scanned or x-rayed for other reasons and a careful radiologist identified a possible issue.
5 out of 5 lung cancer survivors recommend CAT Scans.
As such, we currently started the authorization process today with our insurance company for Alpha's CAT Scan.
As though you had to ask - yes, the 64 Slice.
Are you kidding? Do you really think I would tolerate anything less?
So, tomorrow I have a gig to chat about health care.
What are the odds that I may be a bit more snippy if I am fighting with the insurance company regarding approval of the CT Scan?
In my inner soul birdhouse I continue to sing "this is nothing."
But - I am already forever changed.
These facts are unacceptable.
For my family, for your family, for all of us.
We can change this.

2 comments:
you have my feelings all over the place
how many emotions are in the human repertoire?
i think i'm going through all of them.
one however i'm deeply grateful for
happiness
that you/he are getting the scan
and that i know you
even if only through your words
Holding you close to my heart, sweet friend.
I hate that you have to find your inner "fight" again to research and study and understand all you can to push the best possible testing and care through, but I really do love your "fight". You don't take no for an answer and anything but the best is not acceptable.
Wishing you all the best.
Post a Comment