Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Full-Fat Love

Filoli has a theme going. (I know...how annoying!)

This is something that bugs me like mad.

Food is important. What you eat is important.

We received a communication from our agency once stating we are "so serious and unwavering on our position of "junk" food...perhaps we should focus on an infant placement instead of an older child" (paraphrased by Filoli).

[sigh]

I care about public health - passionately.

I care about your health, identified blog readers - passionately.

I care about your health, silent blog stalker - passionately.

So, yes, we are going to talk about it for a bit.

I have full-fat mad love for you and believe in my heart of hearts - we can fix this.

3 comments:

rebekah said...

Which brings to mind the school for 'wayward' children up north in Wisconsin... the school received a grant to feed the kids, you know, older kids, healthy and organic food. The kids did wonderfully, far better behavior and learning. Then the grant ran out.

I have noticed that adoptive parents frequently initially bond with their children through offering endless treats. Endless treats. Couple that with the food/feeding/control/malnutrition issues that many adopted children have and you end up with runaway crap food in their systems. Just when they're particularly stressed and need to be able to be physically healthy to handle being mentally and emotionally challenged.

I've seen this with kids in Ethiopia, who were not eating treats before, so it's like a drug to them. For the life of me I don't understand the method.

But I am far from an expert on adopting older kids. Just very confused as to how it's supposed to work.

kn said...

Healthy food is a blessing not a punishment.
Full disclosure: we eat donuts. We do. But our staple foods, our everyday celebration foods are fresh, delicious, local and as much as possible in season. That is a blessing. That is wonderful for 2 year olds, 5 year olds and 12 year olds.

We've been talking to Quinn about food, and sustainability since before he could talk. He gets it.

Keep going - we've got your back.

Blog Shmog said...

I like this theme Filoli!! I'm a bit passionate about food/health myself.

My healthy food related blog. :)
http://healthyme123.blogspot.com/