Wednesday, July 8, 2009

The Trouble with Costs

If you have the time and I know that most do not.

But if you do, or if you are just interested in health care reform and some of the discussions and issues that are being debated - I think this is an excellent article.


The Cost Conundrum
What a Texas town can teach us about health care.
by Atul Gawande



It is a bit old, June, but an interesting and important voice.

If you don't feel like reading it, I give you the closing paragraph:

"As America struggles to extend health-care coverage while curbing health-care costs, we face a decision that is more important than whether we have a public-insurance option, more important than whether we will have a single-payer system in the long run or a mixture of public and private insurance, as we do now. The decision is whether we are going to reward the leaders who are trying to build a new generation of Mayos and Grand Junctions. If we don’t, McAllen won’t be an outlier. It will be our future."

1 comment:

-C said...

What a great article. Really puts it in perspective. Thanks for posting this.